Command(s) to confirm tape drive install?

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Oct 20 13:31:00 CDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, at 1:36pm, support at codefit.com wrote:
> Anyone know the linux RH 8 command(s) for checking to see if tape drive is
> recognized by system and writable?

  Assuming it was detected as the first SCSI tape drive in the system:

	mt -f /dev/nst0 status

> Maybe a write test command?

  Same assumption:

	cd /
	tar --create --one-file-system -f /dev/nst0 etc
	mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
	tar --diff -f /dev/nst0

(To those who know: Yes, I know the "mt rewind" part could be eliminated by
using the rewinding tape device.  The above tests the ability of "mt" to
control the drive.)

  See the following manpages for details: st(4), mt(1), tar(1)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>