Dell 6300 linux related questions

Tim Schaefer tschaefer at dwcsolutions.com
Mon Oct 20 13:25:01 CDT 2003

If you're adventurous, try a lot of them, like TurboLinux, Gentoo, SuSE,
Mandrake.

SuSE is pretty easy, and lots of options.
Gentoo will give you lots of experience outside of an RPM-based version
of Linux, very good but some RPMs may not install properly, like DB2.
I haven't tried TurboLinux but heard it was good.
I tried RedHat, didn't like it, the install is pretty inflexible plus
the default Gnome file manager sucks.
Mandrake is fun, consumer-grade, but the install may fall down on your
hardware.

If it's your first time with Linux you may want to go with the more
brain-dead installs, like SuSE or RedHat.
Mandrake breaks on a lot of hardware so it might not install properly.

By the way, you should have a Knoppix CD laying around, they throw
everything and the kitchen sink on one CD so it's a great diagnostics
boot CD, if you run into hardware problems.  It's great to boot up off
the CD and get the machine running, same for Gentoo.

Tim