PE 4600 Death Spiral

Eoin_Mcguinn@Dell.com Eoin_Mcguinn at Dell.com
Mon Oct 20 04:11:01 CDT 2003

Would it be possible to swap the drives between a 'working' unit and a
'non-working' unit? This would pinpoint the build if it's at fault.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Bruno [mailto:sean.bruno at metro1.com]
Sent: 19 October 2003 17:56
To: jason andrade
Cc: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Subject: Re: PE 4600 Death Spiral

See below:

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 01:33, jason andrade wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Sean Bruno wrote:
>
> > > can you please provide specifications for your original PE4600s and
> > > the new servers ?  both of them use the P4 Xeon - your new 4600s may
be
> > > using a faster spec.  in any case it's difficult to comment on what
> > > may be causing this if you don't specify the differences.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > Output of "psrinfo -v" for "old" machine that is currently in
> > production:
>
> psrinfo gives some information - we can see you have gone from
> 2*2Ghz P4 to 2*2.5Ghz P4.    unfortunately there's not that much
> more we're getting from it - ram config change ? motherboard bios
> revisions ? same sorts of disks and controllers ?

The machine is identical as far as hardware.  If Dell has changed any
chip-set or hard-disk manufacturer on me, I was not informed.  I am
running the same BIOS revision on all the machines in question(A09).

The ESM software rev is the latest, RAM is 1GB.  The Hard Disks are in a
RAID 1 configuration with a PERC 3DC installed.

> can you confirm the machine physically has 2 P4/xeons in both ?

I kind of smirked at this one for a second and then thought to myself,
"Did I actually look in the box underneath the fan shroud?"

They are indeed installed and appear to be running.

> > I have been running this config for quite some time.  Even with nothing
> > happening on the box, i.e. no user applications, the box locks up in
> > approximately 4 days.  Sometimes I can get a shell, but things like
> > "top" and "ps" hang.  A truss shows them locking up on "/dev/mem" or
> > "/dev/kmem"
>
> have you applied the latest Solaris patchset (are you running solaris
9/x86?)

I have installed the latest "Recommeneded" for Solaris 8 x86, dated
October 11th.

--
Sean Bruno
Telecommunications Engineer