PE 4600 Death Spiral

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Sun Oct 19 03:34:00 CDT 2003

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Sean Bruno wrote:

> > can you please provide specifications for your original PE4600s and
> > the new servers ?  both of them use the P4 Xeon - your new 4600s may be
> > using a faster spec.  in any case it's difficult to comment on what
> > may be causing this if you don't specify the differences.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> Output of "psrinfo -v" for "old" machine that is currently in
> production:

psrinfo gives some information - we can see you have gone from
2*2Ghz P4 to 2*2.5Ghz P4.    unfortunately there's not that much
more we're getting from it - ram config change ? motherboard bios
revisions ? same sorts of disks and controllers ?

can you confirm the machine physically has 2 P4/xeons in both ?

> I have been running this config for quite some time.  Even with nothing
> happening on the box, i.e. no user applications, the box locks up in
> approximately 4 days.  Sometimes I can get a shell, but things like
> "top" and "ps" hang.  A truss shows them locking up on "/dev/mem" or
> "/dev/kmem"

have you applied the latest Solaris patchset (are you running solaris 9/x86?)

> I thought of this one myself, hyper threading(logical processor) is
> enabled on the ones that are working.  I checked my BIOS on the new
> machines and it was enabled there as well.  I disabled this feature in
> BIOS and this had no effect.

i can't think of any other things off the top of my head.

-jason