PE 4600 Death Spiral

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at metro1.com
Sat Oct 18 11:51:00 CDT 2003

This may be an inappropriate place to post this, but I am at a loss.

We are running Solaris 8 X86 on the DELL PE 4600.  Thus far, we have
been successful and have about 10 units in production without a hitch.

We recently received two new units running the higher end P4 Zeons and
ran into problems.  Specifically the machine goes into a "death spiral"
after approximately 4 days.

The system becomes unstable and new processes hang trying to allocate
memory.  As this is not an "officially" supported operating system, I
thought I would post here and ask the group for a bit of support.

What is the significance of the 4 day run time before death?  What could
have changed between the old and new 4600's that would cause this?  The
uptime on our old machines is months, not days/hours.

Any ideas?

--
Sean Bruno
Telecommunications Engineer