RH 7.3 + megaraid

Tim Schaefer tschaefer at dwcsolutions.com
Fri Oct 17 16:10:01 CDT 2003

WARNING WARNING WARNING!

Make sure when you use mk_initrd that you point it to a specific kernel,
or it will regen the initrd images for all your kernels in /boot if you
don't specify the kernel, thus poisoning your stock kernel, and may make
your system unbootable.  Please read the options, or you will regret it.

Mkinitrd is poorly documented so you should run it on a test system
before using it in production.

NO WARRANTY ON THESE EXAMPLES USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Example 1: mk_initrd -k vmlinuz-2.4.22 -i initrd-2.4.22

Example 2:

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.22
mk_initrd -k vmlinuz-2.4.22 -i initrd-2.4.22 -m "aic7xxx_old megaraid
reiserfs"

You should google your way to mkinitrd docs too...  It's a fascinating
subject.

:-)

Tim