PE 4600: Splitting backplane - daughter card, please help!

Jessica_Bull@Dell.com Jessica_Bull at Dell.com
Fri Oct 17 12:12:01 CDT 2003

First, a PE 4600, only has 8 drives.  The daughter card will split the
backplane to a 2x4.  The server has a dual channel AIC 7899W and a single
channel 7890.  These are straight SCSI controllers.  The server does have an
added onboard RAID option that can make the dual channel 7899 controller
RAID enabled.

A SCSI controller allows you to attatch SCSI devices such as hard drives,
tape drives...etc.  A SCSI-RAID controller is a type of SCSI controller.
Only SCSI hard drives can be attatched and this gives the option of hardware
RAID.  (there is an IDE RAID controller, but this is not relevant
information to your question).  A regular SCSI controller (such as an
Adaptec 7899, 39160...etc) cannot do RAID.

As for your specific questions.  Your components list a PERC3/DC RAID
controller.  This has 2 channels you can use to set up hardware RAID.  You
can split the backplane and have your 18G drives on one side of the
backplane attatched to channel 0 and the 146G drives on the other side of
the backplane attatched to channel 1.  Since there is only 2 channels on
that RAID controller, there can be nothing attatched externally to it.  If
you are going to attatch external SCSI storage that requires RAID, then you
will need an additional RAID controller.

Jessica