enabling hyperthreading in PE 1750

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Fri Oct 17 06:07:01 CDT 2003

Dear All,

We have two Poweredges 1750; each has 2 Xeon's (3.00 GHz) and 4 GB RAM; in the
BIOS, hyperthreading is enabled. However, we are having a hard time getting
hyperthreading to work:

- When we use the prebuilt ISO for Debian
(http://gustavo.imente.com/debian/bootbf2.4.21-ac4-4.iso) we only see two
processors listed in /proc/cpuinfo.

- If we use the 2.4.22-1-686-smp kernel from Debian testing (sarge), we again
only see two processors.

- However, if we boot using Cluster Knoppix (http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/),
v.3.2 (2003-06-06), we do see the 4 logical processors (though we only get
900 MB RAM, which, we guess, woul just require setting CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y).
[No, we can't install from ClusterKnoppix, because it does not see our SCSI
HD].

But we've been comparing the config files for the different kernels and don't
see where the difference is. We've also tried recompiling the kernel, and we
still don't see the 4 CPUs.

What are we doing wrong? (We've searched all the list archives, and it seems
that nobody else has had a similar problem; if anything, people wanted to
turn off hypterthreading).

Thanks,

Ramón

--