Okay, this is so not cool..

James Bourne jbourne at mtroyal.ca
Thu Oct 16 23:06:01 CDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Tony Gale wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 15:00, James Bourne wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I think one thing you might not fulfill  in the "quest to break the box"
> > is that the systems crash under heavy write I/O.  You can actually
> > help the situation by shutting off write caching in the controller, though
> > you can still make the system crash, it just doesn't crash as often.
> >

> Ok, thats a fair point. Now, what do you consider a heavy write I/O. Is
> this script adequate, whilst continuing normal webserving?
>
> #!/bin/sh
>         for (( COUNT=1; COUNT < 10; COUNT++ )); do
>                 (dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=10240000 | tee 1 | tee 2
> | tee 3 | tee 4 > 5) > /dev/null 2>&1
>                 sync
>                 rm -f 1 2 3 4 5
>                 echo -n ">"
>         done
> echo

I've used multiple bonnie++ runs in the past (about 12
to 16) which has worked well.

Regards
James

--
James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."

This  communication  is intended for the use  of the recipient to which it is
addressed,  and  may  contain  confidential,  personal,  and   or  privileged
information.  Please  contact  the  sender  immediately  if  you  are not the
intended recipient of this  communication, and  do not  copy, distribute,  or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.