PE 4600, onboard scsi controler - How it works

Karthik Viswanathan vkaru at iastate.edu
Thu Oct 16 18:25:00 CDT 2003

Hi,

I have a PE 4600, I would like to understand how the onboard SCSI
controller and the Raid controller works. I dint get a chance to open the
server and see the connections since it is been used all time. Will there
be any direct physical connection between the hard disks and the SCSI
controller? If it is a dual channel scsi controller how is it possible to
set the the hard disks to different channels? Is there any way to find if
it is a dual channel SCSI controller? The system details(given below)
doesnt clearly say this.

I wanted to know these because, I have two 146 G 10K hard drives set in
RAID0 and I have ordered three new 18G 15K hard drives. I wanted to set
these three new hard drives in a raid 5 and set no raid for the 146 G hard
drives. I dont want to set raid on these two hard drives is because I dont
want to waste the storage space by putting RAID 1 and also dont want to
take risk of data loss by putting in RAID 0. And the reason why I ordered
the 18G, 15K hard drives is to improve the computational performance of
this server. I was told that I need to split the backplane by adding
daughter card to get the 2x4 configuration to keep in different containers.
Earlier I was thinking that the backplane is connected to one scsi channel
and the tape drive is connected the other scsi channel. But I was told it
doesnt matter at all. Without understanding the basics behind the scsi
channel and raid channel setup I am not clear if I am on the correct path.
Please provide some info for me regarding this. Also would like to know if
my above plan of putting 18G 15K hard disk will improve the perfomance. If
there is any other best way to do this please let me know.

PS: The two 146G hard drives will be used only for data storage and it wont
be accessed frequently. I planned to use the 18G raid 5 array to run
program and store related stuffs.

System details

Quantity Part #
[]
Part Description
[]
  2
[]
 6878T
[]

[]
 Cord, Power, 125V, 10FT, SJT, Unshielded
[]

[]
  1
[]
 0W761
[]

[]
 Processor, 80532, 2.8GHZ, 512, Socket F, 400C1
[]

[]
  1
[]
 2M214
[]

[]
 Card (Circuit), Voltage Regulator Module, 12V, 9.1
[]

[]
  1
[]
 4D666
[]

[]
 Printed Wiring Assy, Power Distribution Board, System Board, P4600, Universal
[]

[]
  3
[]
 6F777
[]

[]
 Power Supply, 300W, Power Factor Correction
[]

[]
  1
[]
 6X778
[]

[]
 Printed Wiring Assy, Planar (Motherboard), Double Data Rate, PE4600, 2P
[]

[]
  2
[]
 747JN
[]

[]
 Printed Wiring Assy, Memory Board, Memory, 6DIMM, PE4600
[]

[]
  2
[]
 2C749
[]

[]
 Assembly, Cable, Dorado/Athens/Tualatin/Almodor, S3, INT/EXT, P4600
[]

[]
  1
[]
 4C641
[]

[]
 Assembly, Cable, Dorado/Athens/Tualatin/Almodor, S3, Internal, 28, PE4600
[]

[]
  1
[]
 4Y131
[]

[]
 Kit, DOC/CDSK, Document Object Model, V3.3.3, World Wide
[]

[]
  1
[]
 7N242
[]

[]
 Keyboard, 104, United States, SILITEK, Low Cost, Midnight Gray
[]

[]
  1
[]
 4N433
[]

[]
 Mouse, Personal System 2, 6P, 2BTN, LOGITECH, SAW34
[]

[]
  4
[]
 632EX
[]

[]
 Dual In-Line Memory Module, 1G, 100M, 128X72, 8K, 184, Registered DIMM, 2
[]

[]
  1
[]
 60EPW
[]

[]
 Printed Wiring Assy, Backplane, Jaguar, 1X8, ULT3, Slide
[]

[]
  1
[]
 0R397
[]

[]
 Compact Disk Drive, 650M, IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics), Internal,
Third Height, 24X,  Black, TEAC
[]

[]
  1
[]
 9M912
[]

[]
 Assembly, Card (Circuit), PERC3-DC, INTEL-BE
[]

[]
  1
[]
 0K898
[]

[]
 Floppy Drive, 1.44M, 3.5" Form Factor, Third Height, No Bezel, TEAC
[]

[]
  1
[]
 0Y681
[]

[]
 Assembly, Printed Wiring Assy, Interface, Compact Disk/Floppy Drive Combo,
Multi-Media, V2
[]

[]
  2
[]
 4R318
[]

[]
 Hard Drive, 146GB, SCSI (Small Computer Systems Interface), U320, 10K,
80P, FJT
[]

[]
  1
[]
 1M214
[]

[]
 Assembly, Cable, Twisted Pair, Hard Drive, 2DROP, Enclosure
[]

[]
  1
[]
 6U103
[]

[]
 Tape Backup Unit, 160GB, Full Height, Internal, SDLT-320, V1