2650 troubles, was Okay, this is so not cool..

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Thu Oct 16 17:17:00 CDT 2003

Marc Schmitt wrote:

> Did you try to compile a RH kernel with everything enabled? When do you
> need that anyway?

We are talking about _bugs_ in all kernel, not about if my compilation options
are fine ;-)

>> - it passes no test, only "guy's boot tests"
>>
> Nah, that's quite an insult to all kernel developers.

It's not an insult, that's true.
I know Tosatti gets a test machine on osdl, but it's not enough
Show me a project like any of these for 2.4: http://www.osdl.org/projects/26lnxstblztn/results/

> OTOH, take it with a grain of salt,  why should those kernel gurus (that
> work for vendor distributions) give a vanilla kernel more credits than
> the one they build in house?

ask it to them :-)

> Well, look up the RH kernel errata history for all 2.4.x based releases
> and check for tg3 driver occurrences...
> Ok, RH (JG) worked hard to knock down the problem, but that stress test
> clearly failed on this one, otherwhise we would not have seen several
> errata releases that supposedly fix the lockup issues.

tg3 is an special case. It supports a *lot* of chips, boards, vendors....
time ago bcm didn't support kernel guys and the worse is the _hardware_ has
*plenty of bugs*. It is very difficult to do a stable driver with these
conditions. But today, release 2.2 looks stable. Thanks to Jeff and David.

> Then, then never ending PERC driver issues come to my mind, too.
> Somehow, looks like they stress test only what is known to work well. :)

Sometimes people says: rh/linux/mdk/suse... is shit . it's broke.
Hey guy!!, apply latest vendor patches, firmware updates and help to debug it.
People is human, not machines.

> No kidding, thanks for your arguments. I find it still difficult to take
> a decision, though. Currently, there are important NFS fixes going into

NFS over TCP was not stable, I don't know if it will better in .23 or .24
but rhel 3 kernel .20 has patches to do it.

--
Software is like sex, it's better when it's bug free.