2650 troubles, was Okay, this is so not cool..

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Thu Oct 16 15:42:01 CDT 2003

Ryan Go wrote:

> What options did you select that won't compile then? What version of
> the kernel?

I use compregress.sh from http://developer.osdl.org/~cherry/compile/
plus a patch to add support of allmodconfig,alyesconfig.... And I use to
select allmodconfig.

I am playing since Apr-2003, 2.4.21-preX, and things are getting better.
But nobody are doing the same than osdl stability project to 2.4.

I reported compilation errors in:
drivers/hotplug/acpiphp_glue.c
drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_kcs_intf.c
drivers/hotplug/ibmphp_core.c
drivers/char/drm-4.0/i810_dma.c

latest test of 2.4.23-preX shows:

# make modules_install
[...]
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.4.23-pre5; fi
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.23-pre5/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-core.o
depmod:         init_cmd640_vlb
depmod:         ide_wait_hwif_ready
depmod:         ide_probe_for_drive
depmod:         ide_probe_reset
depmod:         ide_tune_drives
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.23-pre5/kernel/drivers/net/wan/comx.o
depmod:         proc_get_inode
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.23-pre5/kernel/fs/binfmt_elf.o
depmod:         put_files_struct
depmod:         steal_locks

> I obviously couldn't and wouldn't compile with all the kernel options
> since that would make the image very huge and I don't have a box that
> needs ALL the hundreds or thousands of drivers/code that the kernel has.

If you select <M> 'modules' there is not problem. Distributions kernel
are made of this way.

--
Software is like sex, it's better when it's bug free.