2650 troubles, was Okay, this is so not cool..

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Thu Oct 16 12:51:00 CDT 2003

Andrew Mann wrote:

>     Can you back these claims up with specific versions and options of
> mainline kernels (stable/even series only please) that don't compile or
> crash while vendor provided kernels function fine with the same/similar
> build options?  In the case of security/critical bugs, you have to
> search pretty hard to find a kernel bug or this nature in the last
> couple years, but can you provide any examples of any bugs of this
> nature that were found and not fixed in a timely manner by a new kernel
> release?
>     It's always seemed to me that the specific vendor kernels have
> started with a kernel.org kernel, then added patches that were not
> accepted to the kernel.org kernels (for whatever reason, philosophical
> prominent among them I think), and then future patches always seem to be
> backports from the newest kernel.org kernels.  The exception being when
> the work for a bug fix comes primarily from one of the vendors, in which
> case the patch usually shows up in that one particular vendor's kernel a
> little bit before the kernel.org kernels, and in a little different form.

I can't remember exact releases. Maybe .20 .21(critical ext3, security bugs...)

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.2/1821.html
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0303.2/1141.html
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0308.0/1440.html
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0303.2/1249.html

--
Software is like sex, it's better when it's bug free.