2650 troubles, was Okay, this is so not cool..

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Thu Oct 16 10:14:00 CDT 2003

Marc Schmitt wrote:

> Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

>> first mistake, 2.4.xx kernels of kernel.org are not greatly tested.
>> It's better to stay with latest kernel of your distribution.

> Huh? Elaborate on "2.4.xx kernels of kernel.org are not greatly tested"
> please, I'm interested in how you could come up with such a statement

here it goes.

kernels of kernel.org:
- usually don't compile 100%
- when is discovered a security or critical bug it is not released a new
  formal kernel.
- it passes no test, only "guy's boot tests"

with these notes, some kernel gurus recommend stay with distributions kernels.
This is not new.

Distribution kernels, before to be released, pass heavy stress tests. In Red Hat
Linux, at least one week.

--
Software is like sex, it's better when it's bug free.