Okay, this is so not cool..

James Bourne jbourne at mtroyal.ca
Thu Oct 16 09:02:00 CDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Tony Gale wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 10:02, Mark Watts wrote:
> >
> > Almost all of my 2650's are running the PERC 3/Di and the internal Broadcoms
> > and I have to say we've never hit any of these problems you guys see.
> > One of the servers gets pounded regularly with a postgresql database search
> > engine and that box has been up for over 100 days with no issues.
>
> Just another data point. My 2650's are also solid. I use RedHat plus
> custom compiled stock kernels with a tg3 driver update when is was
> required with older kernels.

Hi,
I think one thing you might not fulfill  in the "quest to break the box"
is that the systems crash under heavy write I/O.  You can actually
help the situation by shutting off write caching in the controller, though
you can still make the system crash, it just doesn't crash as often.

Regards
James Bourne

--
James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."

This  communication  is intended for the use  of the recipient to which it is
addressed,  and  may  contain  confidential,  personal,  and   or  privileged
information.  Please  contact  the  sender  immediately  if  you  are not the
intended recipient of this  communication, and  do not  copy, distribute,  or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.