PE1600SC Embedded Intel NIC with RHL 7.2

Amit_Bhutani@Dell.com Amit_Bhutani at Dell.com
Wed Oct 15 19:36:01 CDT 2003

> Got the latest driver and followed instructions provided by Intel at
http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/onlineguide/PRO1000/DOCS/SE
RVER/index.htm

> An rpm was available and it installed the modules in the right location
but I get an error trying to do insmod e1000, albeit with a clever hint
telling > me that I may need to change my IO and/or IRQ parameters.
Unfortunately I have no idea what these parameters should be.

> Suggestions?

When insmoding the e1000 driver, I am presuming you are getting an error
message that looks something like:
/lib/modules/<path to e1000.o driver>: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters

If that is the case, you are most likely trying to load the *wrong* e1000
driver. The RPM installing the driver in the appropriate directory does
*not* ensure anything. As John mentioned below, the best way to go about
this is to download the source and compile the driver from source for the
kernel you are running. Latest stable e1000 release from Intel can be found
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e1000/e1000-5.2.16.tar.gz?download (or
you can scavenge Intel's support site for the same)

Just download the tar ball and step through the following instructions:

1) Move the tar.gz file to the directory of your choice.

2) Untar/unzip the archive, where <x.x.x> is the version number for the
driver tar file:

	tar zxf e1000-<x.x.x>.tar.gz

3) Change to the driver src directory, where <x.x.x> is the version number
for the driver tar:

	cd e1000-<x.x.x>/src/

4) Compile the driver module:

	make install

5) The binary will be installed as:

/lib/modules/<kernel_version>/kernel/drivers/net/e1000.o

NOTE: The install location listed above is the default location. This may
vary depending on the Linux distribution and kernel you are running.

6) Install the module:

insmod e1000 <parameter>=<value>

Setup IP address and other configuration information for the interface(s)
linked to that driver and you are set!

- Amit B