Okay, this is so not cool..

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Wed Oct 15 16:13:01 CDT 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 kevin.mcmahon at nokia.com wrote:

> Clearly I'm part of a mass hallucination of people who think their
> 2650's crash all of the time.  I agree it should be rock-solid.  Sadly,
> it ain't.  I have 6 that crash, and I seem to have my fellow travelers.
>
> Still, could be interesting...  Cris says he is just using Raid 1 with 2
> drives.  I'm using Raid 0 across 3 drives on my machines.  I suspect
> most people are using 0 or 5.  Is anyone getting crashes who is using
> Raid 1?

I am using raid 1 on all my 2650 (about 20 machines).

I had those aacraid failures on about 6 or 8 of them while using the
standard kernel.org kernels, and everything is running well since I turned
to use the SuSE kernels. It is several weeks now, and some of the machines
are doing heavy I/O.

We had discussed this here, and someone had analyzed the difference
between the SuSE kernels and the failure kernels.

So I really cannot understand why anyone still gets plagued by this bug.

All the standard 2650 hardware is running fully well with the SuSE
kernels. PERC 3/Di with the aacraid driver and the Broadcom ethernet
chips with the tg3 driver.

BTW: even the oldest 2.4.18 SuSE kernels did not have the tg3 bugs I have
read about here.

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)