Okay, this is so not cool..

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Wed Oct 15 14:56:00 CDT 2003

I'll mix-n-match with some of the others' comments....

I use a 2650 as the NFS server for our small cluster.  I've basically taken the stock
RedHat 9.0 and loaded it with no mods beyond de-selecting things that don't belong on
an NFS server. We ARE using the INTERNAL NICs.

We are also using the internal 3/Di controller in Raid 1 (mirrored) mode for the
2 x 18GB disks to house the OS.

We have a direct-attached PE660 + PE224 array.

The 2650 has been rock-solid.  If yours isn't- run the full diags against it and see what
pops up. I have been very impressed with Dell's diags.

We have had MANY problems with the 660/224 though. These were purchased 2nd hand from Ebay.
Dell refuses/cannot sell us a service contract on them (I cannot understand why in this
day ANY vendor refuses to offer a service contract on one of their own products [I'm
talking about a PAID contract, not an freebee extended warranty]).

On the up-side, several Dell Engineers have offered suggestions and after some part-swapping,
the 660/224 seem to have stabilized...

The bigger issue for us is where to go for SAN storage.  We have a major investment in
Dell's 660/224 stuff, but that seems to be getting orphaned. I just don't see us
continuing to purchase Dell's SAN stuff since our only upgrade path seems to be
their $$E$M$C$$ partner.  Who knows, maybe our sales-critter will surprize us...

Bottom line- a PE2650 should be a rock-solid Linux server.

You're more than welcome to send me yours (BEFORE you chuck it out the window)... ;)

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25