perc2/DC rebuild failed disk: Dumb Question

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Wed Oct 15 10:12:01 CDT 2003

Ok,

So, we have a 2450 with a perc2/DC which has a failed internal disk.  The
replacement disk is on it's way to us, which is good.

Now, none of us can seem to remember how the perc2/DC works in regards to
rebuilding a failed disk from the firmware BIOS interface.  If we halt the
machine, swap the disks, and power it back up, will the card just
magically rebuild it and allow us to boot back into Linux and happily use
the good disk while the controller rebuilds the array in the background?
Or, do we need to halt the machine, go into the firmware, tell the
controller there's a new disk and wait in the BIOS for the rebuild to
happen before booting back into the OS?

We'd like the former, but are afraid it's the latter.  FWIW, the megaraid
utils aren't on this box and it's not possible to wedge them in, machine
is running RHL-7.2 with the 2.4.9 kernel with megaraid-1.17a.

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free