irqbalance on HT capable PE4600?

Rainer Traut rainer.traut at epost.de
Wed Oct 15 03:06:00 CDT 2003

Hi,
after the very interesting discussion on how to distribute IRQs on SMP
maschines some time ago on this list, I wanted to ask what is best on
Hyperthreading enabled cpus?

I'm using two 4600s, one with dual Xeon, one with single Xeon, both HT
enabled.
While the dual maschine runs RH8 with irqbalance the single one runs 7.3
without but with smp enabled kernel:

[root at Notes-ext2 root]# cat /proc/interrupts
            CPU0       CPU1
   0:  112264897          0    IO-APIC-edge  timer
   1:         28          0    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
   2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
   8:          1          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  14:          2          0    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
  19:    7131821          0   IO-APIC-level  eth0
  23:    5622208          0   IO-APIC-level  gdth
NMI:          0          0
LOC:  112254283  112254209
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

Question is:
Is it a good idea to update to RH8 (or newer?) and use irqbalance daemon
  here with ht?
Will this lead to better performance?

Thank you
Rainer