2540 foul up

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Tue Oct 14 15:55:00 CDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Michael Weber wrote:

> Dell servers only support a  "warm swap"?  You've GOT to be kidding!

well...  the specifications e.g on a 2650 list support as 'hot plug' scsi
but the documentation and experience i've had indicates you should first
turn off power to the slot before yanking a drive for replacement.

> If Dell really wants to be in the Enterprise market, they better start coming out with Enterprise grade equipment!  This statement means that Dell servers are not ready for mission critical applications.  I guess our next servers will have to be Compaqs.

now you're kidding right ?  on the strength of one person's comment you're
going to change your purchasing decision ? wow,  i wonder if this power works
on other people :-)

anyhow to be more accurate i'll take back 'does not support hot swap' and
change that to 'preferred best practice is to power down a disk enclosure
slot to minimize issues during a swap".

you physically *can* yank a drive and put a replacement in - i've done that.

as to compaq servers.. they make nice kit but IMHO Dell are still up there
with bang/buck for what you are getting.

regards,

-jason