2540 foul up

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Tue Oct 14 08:39:00 CDT 2003

Dell servers only support a  "warm swap"?  You've GOT to be kidding!

If Dell really wants to be in the Enterprise market, they better start coming out with Enterprise grade equipment!  This statement means that Dell servers are not ready for mission critical applications.  I guess our next servers will have to be Compaqs.

-Michael
A Once and Future Compaq Server Customer

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, mr. snow wrote:

> oh dear . i was simply trying to test to see if the machine would boot
> with a drive missing . and also attempting to see if it would be a good
> way to create a live backup of the system .

yes it can.  and yes you can perform a live backup of the system in this
way but it might not be a good backup (if you have a DB that has open
files or a similar situation then what state is that file in when you
pull the drive out?).  this backup works best for a static file situation.

the key is to remember that the 2450 (and i would say all of the others)
supports a _warm_ swap, not a _hot_ swap drive replacement (whatever the
docs might say) and as long as you work with that you'll have few(er)
problems.

cheers,

-jason