ACPI power off on Poweredge 1650s

Robert Mohrmann bob at bmfpartners.com
Mon Oct 13 09:44:00 CDT 2003

I work for a small hedge fund and maintain several poweredge 1650s
running out of the box, RedHat 8 with kernel 2.4.18-14smp

Most of the custom software that we have writen and use, has been
compiled under this and patching and upgrading would require me to
recompile and retest which is a major project so for the time being
Im stuck with kernel 2.4.18-14smp

I know that servers are designed never to come down but it would be
nice to reboot the machines once on the weekends to make sure that
everything is starting up clean. I already have gotten wake on LAN
to work well and respond to magic packets from a PERL script.

Now I just need to have a cron job shutdown the machines so the
PERL script can bring them up. However I find that this is not an
easy task in that apparently my kernel does not support ACPI, or at
the very least needs a patch.

When I issue a:

poweroff

it just gets to 'powering down' and stops.

Anyone have any pointers or suggestions or URLs I could look at?

Thanks in advance for any help.