perc3: 1: importing containers; 2: snapshots

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sun Oct 12 20:23:00 CDT 2003

Quoting Mark Roberts <vaultdweller at adelphia.net>:

> > Yeah, and with ext3, the kernel doesn't like an LVM snapshot of a
> > mounted ext3 partition due to the extra flag, the partition has to be
> > re-mounted read-only, which I can't do. But you're right, doesn't help
> > me in my current situation regardless.
>
> It may not help you now, but, if you want to try lvm in the future, I've
> successfully created snapshots of ext3 file systems in RH by passing the
> sb option to mount. However, I have no idea if the data on the snapshot
> can be trusted. For example,

I wouldn't trust it.  Instead enable the LVM locking code as in my last
posting.  Requires rebuilding the kernel, but oh well, what can you do.
Red Hat included the patch in the kernel, but commented out the #define
that activates it.  Then the filesystem should lock properly around the
snapshot, and give you true snapshot capability rather than just a
snapshot which may or may not be synced with the journal.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!