PERC4+Rh7.3+PE1750 megaraid (http://domsch.com/linux/#megaraid) RH7.3 question

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Oct 12 08:54:00 CDT 2003

> The default RH 7.3 kernel doesnt support the PERC4 Di/S RAID controller, as
> stated from http://www.domsch.com/linux/#megaraid . It says 1.18f is needed,
> however I think RH 7.3 uses 1.18a.

You really want the driver disk posted on support.dell.com for this.
ftp://ftp.dell.com/perc4di-rhl73-118f-a08.tar.gz
This has megaraid 1.18f.

> I went to a shell, mounted the disk, and tried to
> modprobe it, however it failed due to lots of (unresolved) errors. I believe I compiled
> to the wrong kernel source tree or something.

Making driver disks isn't trivial, unless you use DKMS. :-)

> Instead, is it possible to do an on the fly compile of the megaraid.c
> module. I was using megaraid 1.18k.

See domsch.com/linux/megaraid/dkms if you really want to go this route, or
just use the driver disk provided on the link above.

> Also it says on the website http://www.domsch.com/linux/#megaraid :
>
> Red Hat Linux 7.3 (kernel 2.4.18-3) includes megaraid v1.18a, and works with all LSI/AMI MegaRAID controllers. It
> doesnt work with the megaraid controller used in the PE1750 server.
>
> This above statement isn't correct.

Indeed, it was, then we released new controllers.  I should avoid using
the word "all".  I'll fix it soon as I can - I've got a moratorium on
changes to domsch.com/linux as we start moving content over to a dell.com
server which I can edit freely.

Thanks,
Matt

--