F10 and F12 functions on boot up, PE 2650

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Sat Oct 11 14:09:00 CDT 2003

Hi,

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 support at codefit.com wrote:

> >Then, you simply have to download one file, and then you only have to
> >order a new server at Dell, with Dell's favourite operating system
> >preinstalled, and then you can create a diskette from the downloaded BIOS
> >file. This diskette will boot and fully guide you through the BIOS
> >flashing process.
>
> Eberhard,
>
> Are you saying that the only way I can upgrade the A06 BIOS on my PE 2650
> I purchased last year from Dell is to buy a new server from Dell?

No; this was targeted directly to the Dell people reading here. ;-))
Not to blame any individual, but in the hope to help getting things
rolling the next 200 years. Remember how the pyramids got built up...

The criticized matter is simply that you need a Win$ows system if Dell is
delivering updates for your Linux systems.
The BIOS file case is one of the "lower severity" cases. Just run the
downloades .exe at a friend's Win$ows system, and you get a DOS bootable
diskette.

I have bought a Dell PE 1655 MC (of course to run Linux in it, because
"into my cow I put only grass and water").
SuSE-Linux indeed is installing totally smoothly (no special action
necessary, with both SuSE-8.2 and the new SuSE-9.0), but when it comes to
the point of accessing the embedded ERA/MC via it's web interface, I had
to learn that one really needs something called MS-IE-5.0 plus some more
from a vendor other than Dell.
The bad thing is: I _REALLY_ can't make use of the ERA/MC under Linux
until Harald OOstrom will find the time to debug the situation and enhance
his Perl PowerEdge::RAC module, and Harold semms to be out-of-office for
some weeks.

This is a shame, Dell.
My beloved Mr. Dell, you are fully right if you reply "the PE 1655 MC
is sold as a Win$$ system only", but you should know: it is a wonderful
(and most comprehensive) bunch of Linux servers, at least with SuSE-Linux.

So, please detect your potential freedom and find one more way to make
money out of it. It will be for the sake of the whole Dell company if you
can write Linux with bigger letters and more truly in the future...

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)