SLES 8 on PE1750

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Fri Oct 10 10:31:00 CDT 2003

Hi,

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Roskothen Erik wrote:

> has anyone succeeded in installing SuSE SLES 8 on a PE1750 with an Perc4/Di (LSI logic)?

I have SuSE-8.2 running on a PE1655 MC.
The 1655 MC has the same SCSI/Raid Controller as the 1750, I guess:

00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 (rev 07)

The scsi driver modules are mptbase and mptscsih.

I had done a test before with a SuSE-9.0 beta CD, awaiting some need to
fiddle around with all the new chips, but nope: installed fully
out-of-the-box.

The shipped CDs of SuSE SLES 8 are somewhat older, but I would give them
a try.
If you see that the SCSI drivers do not get loaded automatically, you
can choose "manual" installation and load the drivers by hand before
you return to the automatism.
In this case, you have to load all the needed drivers by hand:

  filesystems: ext3 (or whatever you prefer)
  network: tg3 (or e1000, if you prefer to avoid the broadcoms, but they
           work fully well with the SuSE kernels)
  SCSI: mptscsih

If you try, please tell here if you needed hand craft. I still have no
1750. ;-))

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)