Broadcom driver for PE1750 and RHEL ES 2.1?

Thu Oct 9 09:20:01 CDT 2003

Get the latest version of bcm5700 and build for your
present kernel.  Has a source rpm in tarball and do
rpm --rebuild bcm5700....src.rpm
Will build and place binary rpm for running kernel
in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386.  Install with rpm -Uvh --force
and either reboot or ifdown ethX interfaces, rmmod bcm5700,
and then modprobe bcm5700 and should end problems.
If you are running 100 full and not gbit probably need
to add options line below the 2 alias entries for nics
in modules.conf.
options bcm5700 line_speed=100,100 auto_speed=0,0 full_duplex=1,1
http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/bcom_lan_67_rh_src_A00.tar.gz
Requirements are kernel source and rpmbuild packages be
installed as well as standard kernel development things
gcc, make, and so forth.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Gilbert [mailto:darren.gilbert at iop.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 8:53 AM
To: Linux-Poweredge at dell.com; knuffie at xs4all.nl
Subject: RE: Broadcom driver for PE1750 and RHEL ES 2.1?

Not that either Seth...  There was no alias using the bcm5700.  eth0 is
aliased to tg3.

Interestingly, lsmod doesn't include any reference to tg3, tg3_12e3, or
bcm5700 drivers, and an insmod on these drivers results in ...

insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.9-e.12/kernel/drivers/net/tg3.o: init_module: No
such device
insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including IO or IRQ parameters

Regards,
Darren

At 11:22 9-10-2003 +0100, Darren Gilbert wrote:
>Thanks for your reply Amit...
>
>Unfortunately, this driver doesn't work for me.  It seems to install fine,
>but when the system is re-booted post install neither of the Broadcom
>NIC's are available.

I suspect that the old bcm5700 driver is still mentioned in the
modules.conf.

Edit this file, replace bcm5700 with tg3, close and save.
service network restart

Cheers

--
Seth

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.