Configuring Poweredge 650

Wed Oct 8 19:03:01 CDT 2003

Best as I know, these options only guide the factory installation process,
they don't limit the final configuration.  I believe it to be merely an
ordering issue.  Choose "C2" if you want to buy two disks from Dell, "C1" if
one.  You won't get the second cable (if needed) if you buy "C1" of course.

-Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee, David Y.
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 10:19 AM
To: Linux-PowerEdge at dell.com
Subject: Slightly OT: Configuring Poweredge 65'

Hi,

We're considering ordering the 'new' PE650 for some non-critical testlab
duties, however upon configuration, we noticed the following 'storage
options':

 	C1, Motherboard IDE, Ascending Order, 1 Hard drive
 	C2, Motherboard IDE, Ascending Order, 2 Hard drives

Initially, we only intend to order one IDE drive with each system, but would
like the flexibility of being able to add a secondary drive in the future.
If we choose the 'C1' option, does that negate the upgradde path for a
second disk?

I ask this because if one chooses the 'C2' option, the ordering form returns
an error saying that you must purchase 2 disks from Dell if 'C2' is
selected. Is this a difference in motherboard configuration or cabling? Or
is it just an ordering issue?

Thanks!
David Lee
SLAC Computing Services