Slightly OT: Configuring Poweredge 65'

Lee, David Y. dlee at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Tue Oct 7 12:21:00 CDT 2003

Hi,

We're considering ordering the 'new' PE650 for some non-critical testlab duties, however upon configuration, we noticed the following 'storage options':

 	C1, Motherboard IDE, Ascending Order, 1 Hard drive
 	C2, Motherboard IDE, Ascending Order, 2 Hard drives

Initially, we only intend to order one IDE drive with each system, but would like the flexibility of being able to add a secondary drive in the future. If we choose the 'C1' option, does that negate the upgradde path for a second disk?

I ask this because if one chooses the 'C2' option, the ordering form returns an error saying that you must purchase 2 disks from Dell if 'C2' is selected. Is this a difference in motherboard configuration or cabling? Or is it just an ordering issue?

Thanks!
David Lee
SLAC Computing Services