dell, serial ata and linux support ?

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 7 09:26:00 CDT 2003

--On Tuesday, October 07, 2003 14:58:23 +1000 jason andrade
<jason at rtfmconsult.com> wrote:

> on the last point from searching it appears that RH9 has to be
> installed with the system IDE setup in "legacy" mode, errata kernel
> installed and then switched back into normal mode..

Not that it's all that relevant to this discussion, but something to watch
out for: Dell desktops* that use ICH5 serial ATA appear to _not support_
configuring legacy mode, and so unless you have a kernel with the ata_piix
driver, you're out of luck.

* I only know about optiplex gx270's, but I suspect that any other system
would be similar BIOS-wise. My employer recently got some optiplex gx270's
that, somewhat unexpectedly, had SATA system disks. It took a few days to
get a working install procedure for them.... Given the similarity of the
hardware, I suppose that the poweredge 400SC is also affected.