dell, serial ata and linux support ?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Oct 7 08:02:01 CDT 2003

> I'm just looking at serial ata and wondering if
>
> o dell has any plans to introduce SATA support in the poweredge
>   servers

No preannouncing products or features...

> o can anyone comment on SATA support in linux distros in particular
>   with RH9 and/or RHEL3.  does it work 'out of the box' ?

RH9 doesn't include it.  RHEL3 public beta does, and by indications on
linux-kernel, works for several controllers (Intel ICH5, something
else...)  It's not clear if RH9 will ever pick it up in an errata, or if
you'll have to wait for Fedora Core 1 which includes all of Jeff Garzik's
latest SATA work.  I'd bet on the latter, and hope RH can release the
Fedora kernel for RHL9 as an errata in the future.  But you'll have the
dance you describe next...

> on the last point from searching it appears that RH9 has to be
> installed with the system IDE setup in "legacy" mode, errata kernel
> installed and then switched back into normal mode.. which is possible
> if you've got physical access to the box/bios but not very convenient
> for PXE boots etc.
>
> but there is some chance that RHEL3 has SATA support out of the box..

Yes, absolutely.  You won't have to do the above dance, Jeff solved that.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch