Red Hat Fedora Project

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Sat Oct 4 19:08:01 CDT 2003

Joe Stevens wrote:

> Thanks for the linds to the fedora list -- they were quite interesting.
> (I am not on that list, but maybe I should be...)

> Its not very expensive if its on a big sever -- but if it increases the
> TCO of a small server 20% over three years, thats going to seriously
> change my purchasing decisions.

> But the point is -- I *don't* want postgres support, from sun or from
> red-hat.  I just want security patches.

When I said 'support', I was referring to *updates* too. Solaris is
only a OS with little server software. Red Hat brings a lot of servers
and software. And this has a cost. 250$ Solaris vs. 350$ RHEL.
100$ difference looks not too bad when you get updates for a lot of
software.

And IMO, Solaris is more expensive to administer. It takes more time to
optimize, to update OS with patches are pain....