poweredge 2650 tec specs

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Wed Oct 1 19:15:00 CDT 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Christian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me the specifications of the PE2650 memory? I gather it has 3 slots that will take a max of 4gb RAM in each, taking it to a physical maximum of 12gb.

the 2650 has 6 slots for DDR dimms.  it was originally specified
to have 6 * 1G dimms for 6G of memory but with the release of
the 2G dimms can now take 12G of ram.  i don't think you have
to install memory in pairs to make up a bank (can someone correct
me here?) but you may get better performance through interleaving
if you do.  it is identified as having 3 banks (e.g 2 slots
per bank) of memory.

you can also configure memory with 'sparebank' for extra redundancy.
i understand that this should allow you to survive some memory failures
transparently to the OS - but i haven't used this myself and don't know
how well it works in practice.

> What type of memory does it take? or which type is best?

200Mhz ECC DDR dimms.  i don't think there's a 'best' type - you just
have to get memory that will work in it.   if you have a newer 2650
you may need to purchase 266Mhz dimms to deal with the 533Mhz FSB but
i don't know if this is mandatory.  it may be needed to get the best
speed out of the system but it probably allows the memory bus and the
system bus to run at independant speeds.

> And also, is there a way in linux I can probe the slots for what is currently installed in there, without having to take it down and apart?

cat /proc/pci

alternately you can install Open Manager Server Administrator which
is will give you a lot of other useful information as well as telling
you what is in which PCI slot.

regards,

-jason