Dell Poweredge 650 and network booting

Thomas_Chenault@Dell.com Thomas_Chenault at Dell.com
Wed Oct 1 13:50:00 CDT 2003

Assuming that the default NIC for the PE650 is the Intel PRO/1000MT Dual
Port, then yes, it supports PXE. You may find that it is simply not enabled.

Watch for the following (or similar) during boot.

	Initializing Intel(R) Boot Agent Version 1.1.07
PXE 2.1 Build 083 (WfM 2.0), RPL V1.11

Also check in the BIOS setup under Boot Sequence for devices with IBA in the
name.

If you do not see the messages or find the IBA devices in BIOS then PXE is
probably not enabled on the NIC.

To enable PXE, download:

	ftp://ftp.dell.com/network/Intel_LAN_66_DOSUtils_A00.exe

The contents can be extracted with 'unzip'. Inside you will find a utility
named ibautil.exe. Copy the utility to a bootable DOS floppy disk and then
boot the server to that floppy. Once booted run:

	ibautil.exe -nic=1 -fe

If both interfaces are to be PXE capable, run the utility again replacing
nic=1 with nic=2. More information on ibautil can be obtained by running
ibautil -? or by reading the documentation provided in the DOSUtils package.

Once this procedure is complete the box should be able to boot PXE. You can
avoid having to press F12 by moving the NIC higher in the list of bootable
devices in the BIOS setup.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Chenault
*Insert standard disclaimer about my opinions/advice being mine and mine
alone.