Red Hat Fedora Project

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Wed Oct 1 11:28:01 CDT 2003

Joe Stevens wrote:

> If we are going to talk about business -- RH's financial problems aren't
> the result of the fact that too few good-hearted souls bough RHL box
> products -- they are the result of a great tech company with a poorly
> thought-out business model.

As I don't know what is the real financial state of RH I am unable to
speak about it.

But guy, there is something very clear. How is it possible to get money
when you are giving a product freely and also offering free maintenance
*and* your potentials clients don't buy your services ?

I M P O S S I B L E
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-September/msg00133.html

Because I remind you that Red hat offers ISO images and binary/sources
updates free for every distribution. For example, SuSE doesn't has
free ISO, although you are able to install it through NET and update it.

But I believe that they are doing the correct thing == Fedora.

> Oh please, people don't do business out of the goodness of their heart.
> If we are eveluating something, we ask "how much does it cost", we get
> an answer, and then base our decisions on that answer.  Up until now the
> answer was $60/$90 a year.  I based a decision on that, and I got burned
> -- how likely am I to be a repeat customer?

Maybe SuSE has what you are searching: $80 today, but it looks like it
will go up. And:
"At the moment_ we are maintaining SuSE Linux for 2 years - that means
Bug fixes and Security fixes will be released for two years for each SuSE
Linux version. Contrary to our business products with maintenance this is
_not_ guaranteed."

With Mandrake, you pay nothing, free ISO but: http://www.linuxmandrake.com/en/ftp.php3
And : "...With the forthcoming release of Mandrake Linux 9.1, we
are forced to consider the product lifetime of existing products ....
MandrakeSoft will provide 12 months of "desktop" updates
or distributions, and 18 months of "base" updates for distributions.
This means that applications such as window managers, desktop environments,
browsers, etc. will have a 12 month package update life, while applications
such as the kernel, Apache, and other "base" components will have a package
update life of 18 months."

Debian is a special case, here is very well explained:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-October/msg00010.html
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-October/msg00006.html
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-October/msg00009.html

> That means owning the server for 3 years has gotten 20% more expensive!!
>
> what looks so good about that???

As I said before - 1$/day. It's more expensive than before, and
too much if you compare it with free ISO/updates.
But what you don't understand is that you are buying services not a
a CD with software. It's not material like a machine, it's redhat people's
work. If you only want software, it's freely avaliable in the NET.

>> Without licenses per clients, sources and lot of server software...
>> The last time that I saw Red Hat Linux XX Professional it costs 150$.
>> Now it's 2X, not cheaper but not too much expensive.
>

> not true, because its per year vs. one time.

I mistook here :-). But at least you would buy a $60/year to
help to maintain it, doesn't it ?
And one questions about RHEL license , is it same price all years? or
lower second, third...year :-?

> all the things you listed also come with a commercial unix license.

In external CD but *without* support and maintenance!!!
tell you to SUN that you want postgres support :-)

>> If you make a comparison with "close UNIX" vendors or Microsoft, the RH
>> prices looks ridiculous.
>

> yea, ridiculously expensive.  see my last post for the exact figures.

You are trying to compare Red Hat OS with UNIX RISC OS and it is not correct.
You should put in same bag OS_license + server + maintenance + ...
Show me *real* data. Call Red Hat and then call Sun/MS/.... And say me what
are lower prices, with same services, support, _performance_....

> I don't think giving everything away for free is the answer, but at
> least for my company, RHEL isn't the answer either (or, I should say,
> won't be as long as I am buying the servers)

tell me, which do others linux distributions have what you want?
is there any?

--
:x