powervault 220x1 + 2x Dell + Redhat 8

Wed Mar 19 16:25:01 CST 2003

You need a cluster aware module for the perc3/dc like megaraid2.00.3 and
cluster type services loaded and then you can create cluster shares on the
pv220 and have different servers that are primary node of that share and
then access the pv220 from both systems as well as set up fault tolerancy
and failovers.

If you don't have these, you can't get it to work as you've noticed.

The advanced server version of redhat has all the clustering tools built
into it but the standard distros have none of it.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr Jon R Malone [mailto:jon at foremost.it]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 3:52 PM
To: Linux-PowerEdge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: powervault 220x1 + 2x Dell + Redhat 8

OK we have 2 x dell servers + 1 x powervault 220.  I *THINK* each of the
dells have a ZEMM card with 2 channels on each card.

I want each machine (but not both at once) to be able to access the
powervault.

I have cabled the beasts up, installed RH8 (on the local SCSI disks).
 With 1 server powered on (and the other off) I can see and configure
the raid on the 220 - using standard RH8.0 tools.  I can power that box
off and see the drives from the other m/c.  However when both are on at
the same time (even when the 220 has no mounted disks) all h*ll breaks
loose.

Each system sees controller resets and or hangs *or goes V slow*.  From
what I can see the system does not even "BIOS" boot terribly well when
both systems are brought on at the same time.  I have tried the 2 modes
of switch settings - excuse the vaugeness but I am not at the system at
present - cluster mode and "joined bus mode" both behaved similarly.

I would appreciate any "get me started" clues.

jon