Dell PE1550 and Solaris

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Fri Mar 14 19:14:01 CST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Chris Kirby wrote:

> I will be using a pair of 1550's as NFS servers and reliability and
> performance is *very* important. I've been reading a lot of negative
> articles on Linux technical sites about NFS woes under Linux and the
> consensus so far is that Solaris is the way to go for architectures
> requiring stable and fast NFS performance even under high load.

you will have to take the NFS woes on linux with a grain of salt.  a lot
of the issues are relevant at either very high loads/throughput or from
a technical elegance perspective in comparing the linux NFS core with
other implementations.  i know i  about it a fair amount but that
said NFS under linux does work for me (pushing ~1.4Tbyte/day over it
now) even if i am unhappy about some of the efficiencies.

if you are looking at solaris i'd recommend you run it on sparc hardware
instead.  if you are happy with the existing hardware you have then linux
will do the job but a better alternative might be FreeBSD if you are
still worried about linux NFS.

regards,

-jason