2.4.18-26 screen lockups and threading issues

Dave Johnson dave at wangtrading.com
Tue Mar 11 14:34:01 CST 2003

On a positive side, the kernel seems to noticeably speed things
up on the machine (bootups are several seconds faster).  Network
performance (and of course network stability) has increased.  We
ran some tests on a small farm of machines and it successfully
handled the load over the weekend.

Some concerns we have seen, which effects us rolling it out to
production are:

1) On different Dell machines (1550s, 530s and 650s), we have
   seen lockups that last for several seconds (keyboard caps
   lock doesn't even register).  Most of these machines are
   running X at the time (RedHat 7.3).  Not sure what is
   causing this... ?

2) Is there something changed in the kernel threading model
   for the default RH build for i686 and i686-smp of 2.4.18-26?
	- On machines with this kernel installed, GDB starts
        seeing int32 on debugged apps, which didn't exist in
        2.4.18-5smp.  From one of our developers here, even
        sleep() behaves differently.

3) The latest NVIDIA driver seems to not be 100% with -26.  Has
   anyone seen machine lockups with the NVIDIA display driver-4191.
   (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4191)

Was wondering if anyone else has seen any of these issues... ?
We are about to open some bugs with RH...

Dave Johnson
dave at wangtrading.com

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies
of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or
indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy
any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries
each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.

individual sender, except where the message states
otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them
to be the views of any such entity.