PE2650 hangs on RH7.3

James Bourne jbourne at mtroyal.ab.ca
Sat Mar 8 12:02:00 CST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 lars at levonline.com wrote:

> Hi Rosio,
>
> The latest and greatest of the redhat errata kernels are supposed to fix the
> hanging. If the new kernel (released yesterday) does not work you can download
> the bcm5700 module that red hat did not release with 2.4.18-19.7
>
> You can find it from dell here
> http://support.euro.dell.com/se/sv/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R55748
>
> A switch from tg3 to bcm5700 seems to have been the workaround for most people.
> I bought myself a few gigabit eepro1000 cards instead and disabled the
> tg3/bcm5700 stuff. This is the third attempt from red hat to fix the problem
> and I just can't risk it beeing unstable.

Hi,
If you are using the newest RH kernel (released this past week) it
does fix the problems.

I am currently running 2x2650s and a 4600 and they are very stable
with the 1.4c tg3 driver.

Regards
James Bourne

> best regards
>
> /Lars
>

> On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Rocio Alfonso Pita wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> >   I have 2 dell PE 2650 + Red Hat 7.3 + all_erratas + all
> > firmware(bios,backplane, PERC3) to the last level. And the system hangs
> > without reason (the two machines) every 2 or 3 weeks (not at the same time).
> >
> >   Hardware tests like memtest86 and dell_tests are passed without problems! In
> > the system logs not appears nothing!
> >
> >   I found this reference in Red Hat:
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/long_list.cgi?buglist=82664
> >
> >   anyone knows this problem?
> >
> >   Thanks and regards,
> >      rozio

James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA
www.mtroyal.ab.ca

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."