afaapps-2.6-0 and disk hotswap

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Sun Mar 2 15:47:01 CST 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 rb at raphinou.com wrote:

> When looking at the status of the enclosure, here's what I get now:
>
> Enclosure
> ID (B:ID:L) Slot scsiId Insert  Status
> ----------- ---- ------ ------- ------------------------------------------
>  0  0:06:0   0   0:00:0     1   OK FAILED CRITICAL I/R READY NOTACTIVATE
>  0  0:06:0   1   0:01:0     1   OK FAILED CRITICAL ACTIVATE
>  0  0:06:0   2   0:02:0     1   OK FAILED CRITICAL ACTIVATE
>
> And on the console I got a "Drive spin down failed" message.
>
> The server is now working on the two disks on slot 1 and 2. I wonder if
> the action was correct though (due to the messages I pasted here above).

you haven't said what sort of server this is - but unfortunately afacli can
sometimes lie quite badly or get confused.  if you have 3 drives and you
removed the drive in slot0 i wouldn't expect to see FAILED CRITICAL in
slots 1 and 2.  unless those drives have also died (orange lights?)

> Also, I read a message stating that the PERC 3/Di didn't
> support hot swap but only hot plug.... Is that right, and would that
> mean I cannot take the hard drive out when the computer is running?

you can take the drive out when you prepare the slot because it shuts down
power to the slot.. hence all the LEDs on that drive tray going out.

> I reactivated the disk but got a 'spinup failed" message on the console.
> enclosure show status returns this now:
>
> Enclosure
> ID (B:ID:L) Slot scsiId Insert  Status
> ----------- ---- ------ ------- ------------------------------------------
>  0  0:06:0   0   0:00:0     1   OK FAILED CRITICAL ACTIVATE
>  0  0:06:0   1   0:01:0     1   OK FAILED CRITICAL ACTIVATE
>  0  0:06:0   2   0:02:0     1   OK FAILED CRITICAL ACTIVATE
>
> It seems I didn't get back a the situation before my enclosure prepare :-)
> Any idea what I should do?

what does "disk list" say ?

on a PE2400 this is what my enclosure show status looks like when i have
4 disks (slot 0 -> 3) plus a hot spare configured in slot 5, with slot 4
being empty.

Enclosure
ID (B:ID:L) Slot scsiId Insert  Status
----------- ---- ------ ------- ------------------------------------------
 0  0:06:0   0   0:00:0     0   OK ACTIVATE
 0  0:06:0   1   0:01:0     0   OK ACTIVATE
 0  0:06:0   2   0:02:0     0   OK ACTIVATE
 0  0:06:0   3   0:03:0     0   OK ACTIVATE
 0  0:06:0   4   0:255:0     0   OK UNCONFIG EMPTY I/R READY NOTACTIVATE
 0  0:06:0   5   0:05:0     0   OK UNCONFIG HOTSPARE ACTIVATE

hmm, if you shut down gracefully and power cycle the server and then check
with afacli, do you still see the above ?  is this a dell PE2550 ?

regards,

-jason