e100 + omsa 1.4 + Red Hat 7.2

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon Jun 30 16:11:00 CDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Darren wrote:

> Hello linux-poweredge,
>
> On Red Hat 7.2, PowerEdge 2450, 2 of Intel EEPro 100 NIC I would like
> to install "OMSA 1.4", which can be found from this URL.

hi darren,

you may not be able to use OMSA 1.4 on the above config - you might have
to go back to OMSA 1.2 or even 1.1.

alternatively you could look at updating your system to the latest kernel
update for that platform.

> Installation failed : The e100 RPM package installed on this system is not compatible with this version
> of Server Administrator. You must update the e100 RPM package using the "Server Assistant" CD Version 7.0.1
> or later before installing or upgrading Server Administrator.
>
> 1. I don't have the Server Assistant CD.

few of us do.

> 2. Can I avoid the driver update? The driver has worked with no problems so far.

not if you want to use OMSA 1.4

> 3. If not, how do I update the e100 RPM remotely?  Can somebody provide a resource for this upgrade please.
>    Is there an official RPM somewhere?  The different versions confuse me!

the e100 rpm ?  as far as i know it is a tar.gz file from intel.com or a mirror, e.g

http://planetmirror.com/pub/intel/drivers/linux/current/

but unless you know what you are doing i don't recommend you go down the track
of rebuilding your kernel with this.

> 4. Would a later Linux kernel provide the necessary updated e100 driver that would satisfy omsa 1.4 ?

yes.

> 5. I'm assuming that OMSA 1.4 can be installed remotely without X?

yes.

> 6. Why not make the next version provide a URL for the e100 upgrade.

because it isn't as easy as that as it involves a kernel upgrade or a manual kernel
(custom) kernel rebuild.

> I'd like to avoid kernel compiles and lots of time investigating kernel options for the PowerEdge,
> in fact this is just not possible remotely because of the distance of the server and downtime in
> investigating kernel configs for the PowerEdge 2450.

the latest errata kernel for redhat linux 7.2 is 2.4.20-18.7

> What is the best procedure to perform this Linux NIC driver update "remotely".
>
> # rpm -ivh e100
>
> And then this from cron to actually unload the existing drivers, load
> the new drivers and bring back networking?
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /sbin/ifdown eth0; /sbin/modprobe -r eepro100; /sbin/modprobe eepro100; /sbin/ifup eth0

eepro100 != e100

you will get in trouble by mixing drivers. eepro100 is the non intel driver
for the same NIC.

> $ uname -r
> 2.4.7-10smp

this is an extremely old kernel - IIRC it is the kernel that redhat 7.2 actually
shipped with ?

> $ rpm -qil e100
> Name        : e100                         Relocations: (not relocateable)
> Version     : 1.6.14.1                          Vendor: Intel Corporation

and here's the problem.  OMSA probably expects a e100 driver that is at least
v3 or v4 (current is v5).  this driver is far too old to work with OMSA.

regards,

-jason