Lockups on a Dell PowerEdge 2650

Jacob Wood jpwood at tetontel.com
Wed Jun 18 10:53:00 CDT 2003

Hello, I am having a problem with my PowerEdge server.  The system will freeze at random times.  When it does freeze I cannot send or receive email, I cannot ssh to the box, I cannot do anything from the console, but I can ping it.  I have had a top running and when the machine freezes the CPU's are 99-100% idle and the top will even continue to update, but I cannot do anything until I hard boot the system.  The freezes are not reproducible and don't occur after any specific amount of time.  Sometimes I can go two months between problems and sometimes it is one day.  This server is only providing email services.  Here are the details of my system:

PowerEdge 2650
Dual 2Ghz CPUs
1 GB RAM
RAID 1