cli methods for recreating dell utility partition on poweredge servers running linux?

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Sun Jun 8 23:11:01 CDT 2003

Ok, everybody else who responded to you missed a couple of key point, so
here is what I saw missing, in no particular order:

	-- Master boot record must be an MSDOS-type boot record that
understands 'active' partitions. If you use grub/lilo in your MBR, this
will not work. (grub/lilo in the partition work ok.)

	-- Parition must be type "DE". Fdisk can be scripted to do this.

	-- Partition must be FAT16. "mkdosfs -F16 /dev/Xda1" works.

	-- And now the hard part: you have to twiddle the _partition_ boot
record. If you 'dd' the whole thing from another machine, likely the
geometry will not match and it will not boot. Below are the things you
have to do.

		-- copy byte offsets 0-11, and 62-512 from your working
image. (dd) (in the partition, '/dev/Xda1', not the whole drive)
		-- set offset 0x24 == 0x80
		-- set offset 0x1c equal to the sector # of start of
partition.

	This should make your UP bootable, and will work on any dell
server system. (Hopefully I didn't miss anything). Hope this helps.
--
Michael