time drift (again)

Brian Smith BSmith at lyrix.com
Thu Jan 30 08:54:01 CST 2003

Hi Andy,

As a suggestion, if you are using OMSA to monitor your systems, shut it
down and disable it.  I did a little test last week on a PE2650 chassis.  I
disabled NTP on the chassis during the test.  I let OMSA run for a few days
and averaged 7 minutes of time loss per day.  Then I disabled OMSA (by
running "service dellomsa stop" and "chkconfig dellomsa off") and only
averaged 3 to 4 seconds of time loss per day.  Note that the esm.o OMSA
driver module was still loaded in memory, but was never accessed.  While
not as bad, I think 4 seconds of loss per day is still pretty bad, even for
a PC.  I am now convinced the OMSA (or esm.o driver module) is the culprit
to most of the time loss when OMSA is enabled.  Dell has acknowledged this
and they are working on it.  However I believe there is also a minor clock
problem with the Dell PowerEdge series (specifically the PE1650, PE2650,
and PE2600 which are the only in-production chassis I have any experience
with).  The PE2500 (now discontinued) is much better at keeping time in my
experience.

As for your NTP trouble, if I understand your question correctly, I would
suggest creating a static route in the kernel route table for the NTP
server's address with the gateway IP of the network interface you wish to
use.  Example:

route add -host <ntp_server_ip> gw <network_interface_ip>

where <ntp_server_ip> is the IP address of your NTP server
and <network_interface_ip> is the IP address of the network interface
(network card) where you want the packets to come out of so your NAT works
its magic.

- Brian

                    Andy Stubbs
                    <andrew.stubbs at activeh        To:     <Linux-PowerEdge at dell.com>
                    otels.com>                    cc:
                    Sent by:                      Subject:     time drift (again)
                    linux-poweredge-admin@
                    dell.com

                    01/30/03 09:00 AM