e1000 issues on poweredge 600sc ...

Amit_Bhutani@Dell.com Amit_Bhutani at Dell.com
Wed Jan 29 16:53:01 CST 2003

On second thoughts, a cleaner way to do this would be is to get the source
that Dell puts out on it's support website (as opposed to  for the e1000
driver. That way you are guaranteed the right version of the driver source.

Nathan, thanks for raising that point.

- Amit Bhutani

p.s: Also, I was in no way endorsing Red Hat. I merely made that comment as
you indicated that you didn't want to get your hands dirty with
re-compiling/installing drivers that were not in the base.

---Original Message-----
From: Amit_Bhutani at dell.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 4:01 PM
Cc: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: RE: e1000 issues on poweredge 600sc ...

The base Intel e1000 driver is fully open sourced. You should be able to get
the source from Intel's support website and follow the instructions on
re-compiling the driver. In the simplest case all you would have to do is cd
to the directory containing the source, issue 'make', sit back and watch the
driver compile and then simply insert the module (e1000.o) to the running
kernel.

Not sure which NIC drivers the Debian version you are trying to run come
with but switching to the latest RHL version  should_solve_your problem.

- Amit Bhutani