Linux RedHat Advanced server 2.1 + PowerEdge 2600 (PERC4 Di)

Chambraud, Guillaume guillaume.chambraud at eds.com
Wed Jan 29 10:33:00 CST 2003

> Chambraud, Guillaume wrote:
> >
> > I succeeded in installing a Suse8.1 on a such PowerEdge,
> even if the Suse8.1
> > is not supported by Dell and that the Suse8.1 does not
> provide drivers for
> > PERC 4 controller (see Tom's page) ...
> > Why shouldn't it be possible with a RHAS ?
>

> Well you had to have gotten drivers from SOMEWHERE.... not
> supported by
> Dell is not really a problem for me, but the complete lack of drivers
> for RHAS was a problem.  You can't install without drivers.
> If you got
> it to install, then you either got drivers from somewhere, or Suse8.1
> came with drivers, or you just weren't using the Perc4/Di.
>
>   - Rick

You're perfectly right !
I didn't obtain the drivers, but I built them myself by installing my
Suse8.1 on a small PC, patching the kernel source tree with the megaraid
patch for the good version, and build the module with the good kernel
options (64G, SMP).
With the good modules, I produce a "installation patch disk" as the Suse
installation process allows to do ...
And I'll be surprised if the RHAS does not not provide a such "installation
patch" process ...

In fact the idea is quite simple :
- begin the installation process
- get a console root screen and modrobe the new driver for PERC4 in order to
get access to the disks
- continue the installation process
- override the just made installation by replacing the installed module with
the new module in order the installed system to access the disks
- finish the installation (reboot the PC)
- and it should be ok ...

Cheers

Guillaume