SMP Linux will not boot - PE6650

Desai, Jason jase at sensis.com
Thu Jan 23 16:53:43 CST 2003

Hello.  I just got my shinny new Dell Power Edge 6650 with 4 Xeon processors
and 8 Gb of ram.  I have installed Debian Linux on it with no problem.
However, when I try to install an SMP kernel, it will not boot.  I get an
error about a Kernel bug at smpboot.c and then a dump of some registers.
The a kernel message - something like

Attempted to kill the idle task
In idle task - not syncing

I have tried this with kernels 2.4.19 and 2.4.20.

I have searched the archives and found here
(http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-October/010091.html
) that someone suggested increasing MAX_MP_BUSSES to 64.  I compiled my own
2.4.20 kernel with that change, but I'm still having the same problem.

Has anyone else run across this?  Non SMP kernels seem to run just fine.

Thanks for any help!

Jason Desai