2650 - tg3 on 2.4.18-19.7.xsmp rh7.3 ... OOPS YET AGAIN

Mikael Pettersson mikpe at csd.uu.se
Thu Jan 23 07:13:00 CST 2003

jason andrade writes:
 > On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
 >
 > > For the record, _our_ Dell PE 2650 has been running RH7.3 and RH8.0 since August,
 > > and it's been solid as a rock. Neither the Broadcom NIC nor the tg3 driver has
 > > ever given us any problems.
 >
 > Hi Mikael,
 >
 > Can you please provide some more detail on your hardware/software/application
 > config as this might help with diagnosing problems for the people who have
 > had issues with the 2650 platform.
 >
 > In particular, what is the network load like and  what kernel are you running.

Dual 2.4GHz Xeons with HT enabled. 2GB ram. Four 15K rpm SCSI disks for /,
swap (striped), and a raid-5 work area.

Currently running RedHat 8.0 with a custom kernel 2.4.18-19.8.0. (Added a
driver for the processors' performance counters.)

The box is used mainly for software development by a small group of developers.
Home directories and the CVS repository are mounted over NFS, but most file
system activity occurs on the local raid-5 work area.

The machine runs no network servers, so the NIC is mostly just moving fairly
light SSH traffic and bursts of NFS traffic. We do occasional large data
transfers that saturate the link, but normally the network load is low.

/Mikael