Dell/Redhat/tg3 problems

Rechenberg, Andrew ARechenberg at
Wed Jan 22 19:58:00 CST 2003

Those version numbers after the release refer to the release of Red Hat.

2.4.18-19.7.x  -  Use for Red Hat 7.x
2.4.18-19.8.0	Use for Red Hat 8.0

Someone from Red Hat please correct me if I am wrong, but that appears
to be the case with newer RPMS.

-----Original Message-----
From: Cris Rhea [mailto:crhea at]
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 5:39 PM
To: linux-poweredge at
Subject: Dell/Redhat/tg3 problems

I'm missing something here....

I had already applied the latest kernel errata to my system before
I found out about the details of the tg3 driver problems.

The latest RH8.0 kernel eratta is kernel-smp-2.4.18-19.8.0.

A couple days ago, Mr. Garzik from RH posted that he had fixed drivers
for tg3 that were better than just switching to the bcm5700 driver.

On his web site (, he
says this is the latest kernel errata with his fixes installed.

BUT- his kernel is kernel-smp-2.4.18-19.7.aragorn1 (note that it's build

19.7, NOT 19.8 or 19.9).

Did he just mess up the build numbers (because his text file references
build 19.8)?

If it's truely a later build than 19.8, then shouldn't it be labeled
19.9 so we can rpm -Uhv xxxxxx??

What am I missing?

--- Cris

 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25
 crhea at Mayo.EDU                        Rochester, MN 55905
 (507) 284-0587                        Fax: (507) 284-5231

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at
Please read the FAQ at or search the list
archives at